If applications on your Mac are misbehaving, and a fix is elusive, try this:
- use Disk Utility to verify your disks
- launch Terminal
- quit from all other applications
- at the command line, run the following command
- whilst that command runs, be very patient
- whilst waiting for the command to complete, do absolutely nothing — it’s essential to not touch your Mac until after the run is complete
- any errors presented during the run are typically negligible, but if you like you can take a note of them after the event.
sudo update_prebinding -force -root /
Credit to Unsanity for casting light on related issues.